I am totally back! Not quite where I was before I tweaked my hip, but I am working back up to it. I'm taking my runs slowly now, gradually increasing distance. And stretching and IT-band-rolling and icing for hours after workouts (spread out). It is definitely helping, thank goodness.
I'm excited to finally sign up for the Fleet Feet CREW RnR Half Training program tomorrow! And my first run with them should be a "long" one for 3.75 miles downtown on Saturday morning. This half is in November (my first), so I have plenty of time to work up to that distance and work on speed, so I can achieve my sub 2:30 goal. But really, I secretly want to do it in sub 2:20 because that was my little sister's time of her first half last year, which also happened to be the Rock and Roll half (the one held in San Antonio the week after the one in Savannah). :)
In the midst of all this summer training, I signed up/plan to sign up for a few races in the next month:
The first one is next week, as a celebration of the first week of summer: The Welcome to Summer Virtual Run 5K/10K, hosted by Toni at www.runninglovingliving.com. It's FREE and open to anyone that would like to do it! Plus she is giving out prizes just for participating. Since it's a virtual race, you can participate from anywhere in the world! I highly suggest this one. Plus you have a week span to do it (6/18 to 6/25) and you can choose either the 5K, 10K or both. I'm sticking with the 5K for now. I think 6 miles would be pushing it at this point.
The next one will be a "destination" race for me... I put that in quotes because it's only in Atlanta and I'll be going up there for work that week, so it's not really for pleasure. :) This one is the 2012 Decatur-DeKalb YMCA 4-Miler on July 14. I'm going to be running in it with my coworker who is also an avid runner, but waaay faster than me. Plus there are hills so I am sure those will kick my butt too.
The following Saturday, July 28, a few of my buddies from the Moms Run This Town Savannah chapter and I will be participating in the Hot Mama Half Marathon and Half Relay. Another virtual one where we get to do this on our own. I am running the relay with Cori! I can't wait! This one should be good. We get some medals (aka" bling" – ugh, I hate that word!) for this too!
Then that is all for the summer, until fall comes. Then there may be some local races here that I may want to do, given I can afford it. haha The 3 races listed above cost me a total of about $21!! Woohoo!
Oh, there is also going to be a Watermelon Crawl on July 4th, but it's not really a race, just an excuse to get out of the house early and run a 6'er or an 8'er with a group of running fools on Independence day! There'll be watermelon at the end, so that's a plus :) This one is also FREE!!
Happy running!
No comments:
Post a Comment