Thursday, August 7, 2014

Week 4 of Marathon Training

I'm on week 4 of the Run Less, Run Faster novice marathon training plan for the Marine Corps Marathon. Which means it's only a little under 12 weeks away!! The training runs are getting tough, well, they started off pretty tough. Very demanding runs. For instance, I am set to run 6 miles today - 2 miles easy, 3 miles at Short Tempo (ST) pace, 1 mile easy. My ST pace is 8:29. OMG. Last year, like right before the half I was probably close to that for a short run. 2 days ago I just did 3 x 1 mile repeats at 7:56 goal pace... but totally didn't hit that. The closest I got was for the first one at 8:07 or something.

These runs are tough, but I do like it because I'm being pushed outside my comfort zone. Which we all know - that's where the magic happens! My long runs have been extra rough. I'm thinking it's because I have been doing them downtown and throwing a huge bridge in there at the beginning and end of the run. My Achilles have been sore, so I am thinking I am going to to this week's 12 miles on flat land.

I also might have to add in a 5K after I do that... the Homestead is in a little over 2 weeks! And I know I'm not prepared. But I'm still looking forward to it! :) My fist 50K!

No comments:

Post a Comment